The saga begins

August 1, 2010 at 11:41 am | Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments
Tags: , , , , , , ,
Blake sitting next to a box with Pico in it

Blake packing Pico

Well, as I type this I’m in the air between Austin and Seattle with Pico in a crate under the seat in front of me and Blake typing away on his laptop next to me. Fortuitously, Alaska Airlines apparently has some promotion going on that lets us get wifi for free until the end of July (I.E., today). This is extra nice, since otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to post an update until we were situated at the corporate housing tonight (and we will likely be pretty exhausted by then).

[Note: I did finish writing this on the plane yesterday, but I ended up not getting to post it until this morning.]

It’s been a pretty draining three days. Our Thursday was supposed to begin at 9 a.m. when the packers were to arrive to load all of our belongings into boxes. Unfortunately, the guy who said they’d arrive at 9 was incorrect and we awoke to the phone ringing at 8:1o and them standing outside our front door. This was especially unfortunate because the preceding night we underestimated the amount of time it would take us to separate stuff-going-to-storage from stuff-going-to-corporate-housing and also stuff-going-in-our-checked-bags. So although we intended to be in bed the night before at a reasonable hour, instead we were up until 4 a.m. We really didn’t appreciate the rude awakening (even though it wasn’t the fault of the people standing outside our door).

Boxes in the pink room

Boxes in the pink room

When the packers came in, they asked me to walk around and give them a quick rundown of what needed to be packed. So I did, and to our great dismay the head packer girl announced, “Oh, we can’t take that stuff” about several of our belongings! The most noteworthy was an entire case of Martini and Rossi Asti that was left over from our wedding. This was particularly unacceptable because a fellow from the moving company (Graebel) had already come by last Monday to do an inventory, and we had asked him about that and other belongings explicitly and he had said they’d be no problem. Furthermore, the head packer girl said “I don’t know, you’ll have to call your relocation coordinator and ask about it.” This was horrible news, because we couldn’t even get our coordinator on the phone when we had important things to ask her about like flights and dates and addresses and things. And it was too late to arrange to ship them (which would have cost a lot anyway) — our day was packed with errands and our cars were getting picked up Friday afternoon. We were pretty unhappy: between getting no sleep, being awakened suddenly, and told all this bad news, we were not at our most chipper.

Pico sitting on folded up blankets at the end of a long blue carpet

The king will see you now

It all worked out, though. The head packer girl called her superiors and got special papal dispensation to bring the box along despite their standard policies. By the end of the day we really liked the packers — they were incredibly fast and seemed to take a lot of care with our stuff. It was three girls, and two of them looked like they were in high school (which concerned me initially). But they were really great (with the possible exception of making me feel old by calling me “Ma’am” every time they addressed me).

On Friday the loaders came — they basically just spent the whole day picking up our stuff and putting it in the giant moving truck that parked outside our house. We had 140 boxes — 140! — and of course a whole house full of furniture. It took them about eight hours to get everything, and boy were we glad when it was done. It sounds like watching other people pack and load your stuff would be relaxing, but it was actually quite the opposite.

The moving truck

The moving truck

We basically worked all day too — draining gasoline from Blake’s various gas-powered possessions (lawn mower, string trimmer, sport bike, dirt bike), helping disassemble things, emptying out the fridge, cleaning stuff, making sure all the boxes were labeled to go to the right place, etc. Not to mention handing the other moving-related things: signing final papers with the realtor, getting still another estimate for carpeting, taking Pico to the vet to obtain his health certificate required by the airline ($50 — and nobody even looked at or asked for it once!), and etc.

Last night they picked up our cars and loaded them on a flatbed. Tom nicely drove us to dinner and then later we crammed his spiffy Mustang full of our luggage and he delivered us speedily to the Hilton at the Austin airport. (That funny round hotel that you always see as you’re driving in.) It was actually really pretty inside despite its slightly dated exterior. (We needed the hotel because our house had no furniture in it. Amazon will be reimbursing us.) Since we were the most tired people in three counties, we arranged for a late checkout and slept until lunchtime, and that enabled us to be well rested for the flight and the upcoming navigation around Seattle this evening.

So now here we are on the plane. We’ve finally, finally, finally overcome all the unpleasantness of moving and cleaning and loading and we’re in the air. The hard part is done and we’re on to smooth sailing (minus some turbulence we’re seeing up here over Colorado). The point holds, though — it’s a bright future!


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

  1. Wow, that sounds incredibly stressful! Give me a call when you’re settled.

  2. […] good job the packers had done. (You may recall that I had had some doubts about them mentioned in this post.) They spared no expense with the wrapping paper to cushion objects, and it really made me feel […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: